- If you think you may have COVID-19, just assume you do (3/25/20)
- Will coronavirus cause more babies or more divorces? (3/24/20)
- Nebraskans show wisdom in response to officials' pleas (3/23/20)
- Protect your mental health as well as physical (3/19/20)
- Coronavirus' special challenges for rural health (3/18/20)
- Coronavirus bringing out best of local community (3/17/20)
- Coronavirus: Lessons to learn, opportunities to take (3/13/20)
2020 is good year to get involved in election process
Unhappy with the way things are going in our local, state or federal government?
If youíve never bothered to vote, or perhaps even run for office, you may have only yourself to blame.
Nebraska Secretary of state Robert B. Evnen has published the 2020 election calendar, and if you want to get involved -- run for office, or, definitely, vote -- you should mark down some dates.
Some notable days on the calendar:
Dec. 2, 2019, first day for a candidate to file for th 2020 election.
Feb. 18, 2020, last day for any current office holder to file for office on the primary election ballot.
March 2, 2020, last day for non-incumbents to file for office for the primary election.
March 20, 2020, last day for the Seretary of State to certify candidates, offices and issues to be placed on the statewide ballot.
April 27, 2020, voter registration deadline.
May 12, 2020, statewide primary election day.
Oct. 16, voter registration deadline.
Nov. 3, statewide general election day.
There advantages and disadvantages to living in a small state like Nebraska, but one of the advantages is the ability to get to know our neighbors.
While many of our neighbors are willing to let the voters decide their political fate, more of us need to be willing to stand for election.
Even a statewide office isnít out of reach for a determined candidate in Nebraska, with less than 2 million residents.
Now is a good time to consider whether to run for a local school board, county commission, Legislature or dozens of other offices.
Check out the details on the state election calendar here.