- Tattoo artists can help fight sex trafficking (5/22/19)
- Drones: What goes around, comes around (5/21/19)
- Nebraskans show again how to be a good neighbor (5/20/19)
- 'Lunch shaming' solution will take concerted effort (5/16/19)
- Peace officers deserve honor each and every day (5/15/19)
- Mid-Nebraska provides vital services for area (5/14/19)
- Generic drug hike not a figment of your imagination (5/13/19)
Give system time to work properly
We have to echo the sentiments in the column that shares this page, written by former police officer and current sociology and criminal justice instructor Mike Hendricks.
Even the mother of murder victim Kailee Clapp has expressed the desire that her accused killer receive the fairest trial possible.
With the arraignment following shortly on the heels of the 14-year-old girl's funeral service, it would be easy for community reaction to deteriorate into a mob scene.
But we urge the public, including social network users and the rest of us so accustomed to instant communications, to let the legal system run its course. We are doing our best to strike a balance between releasing available facts -- which is the only way to counteract irresponsible rumors -- and giving the system a chance to work properly.