- Kavanaugh not about #MeToo, it's about Roe vs Wade (9/25/18)
- Heritage Days week off to a good start (9/24/18)
- The backbone of the community (9/20/18)
- 'Lawnmower parents' latest disturbing trend (9/19/18)
- Elected officials' work habits fair game for scrutiny (9/18/18)
- Does it really take 10,000 steps to keep you healthy? (9/17/18)
- Join the Nebraska voting challenge (9/13/18)
Got Memorial Day plans? You may want to stay tuned
Thereís so much news coming out of Washington and elsewhere that itís tempting, even wise, to shut off the electronics and spend time in the garden or reading a good book.
That said, you might want to keep an eye on President Trumpís actions this afternoon when he announces his plans concerning the Iran nuclear deal negotiated by former Secretary of State John F. Kerry under President Obama.
It might affect your Memorial Day plans, specifically whether you dine on steak or hot dogs.
Commodity traders already have a hunch as to what will happen, the price of gasoline having risen 7 cents per gallon over the past two weeks, to a $2.90 national average, the 10th straight week of increases.
A few cents a gallon may not completely derail any Memorial Day travel plans you have, but it will divert money that might go to a more enjoyable activity.
But itís not necessarily bad news for Southwest Nebraska, one of the stateís main oil-producing areas, which benefits from higher crude oil prices, above $70 a barrel, the highest since 2014.
While Kerry, now a private citizen, is reportedly trying to salvage the Iran deal, Trump tweeted Monday that the agreement was ďvery badly negotiated.Ē
So stay tuned; tonightís news might affect a lot more than your plans for the holiday that traditionally opens the summer season.