- Approval of marijuana-derived drug may backfire (6/19/18)
- Enjoy the movies, but be forewarned if you have epilepsy (6/18/18)
- Kansas man happy he still has a filing cabinet (6/15/18)
- Nebraska needs work when it comes to teen driver safety (6/14/18)
- Congratulations on another successful Buffalo Commons (6/11/18)
- Things happen in threes? Let's hope not (6/8/18)
- Cryptosporidium underdiagnosed summer malady (6/7/18)
Your idea of a great Valentine's Day gift may not be hers
Nebraskans love to give lingerie for Valentine’s Day.
Nebraskans hate to receive lingerie for Valentine’s Day.
Perhaps it’s because of the genders involved, and the implied expectations, but offers.com lists the third-most unpopular gift from potential paramours – a bottle of alcohol.
Ogden Nash’s observation that “Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker” may not be so true after all.
The website surveyed more than 1,000 consumers across the country and found that the average consumer will spend about $55 this year on Valentine’s Day.
Roses are the most popular gift for Nebraskans to give, followed by lingerie, teddy bears, gummy bears and promise rings.
Ironically, lingerie/underwear is the least popular gift to receive, followed by a bottle of alcohol or a gift card.
Some 27 percent of us plan to spend a quiet night at home on Valentine’s Day, 21 percent will go to the movies and 21 percent dinner at a restaurant.
A third of Nebraskans waited until this week to do any Valentine’s Day shopping, and 22 percent of us prefer caramels and 21 percent candy bars for a snack.
Despite roses’ popularity as a gift, 37 percent of us choose daisies as our favorite flower for the day, with 24 percent choosing tulips and 24 percent preferring to receive roses.
Nationally, there is disparity in shopping, with males spending an average of $63 for Valentine’s Day, females $46.
But it’s easy for dollars to overshadow more important reasons for holidays, and Valentine’s Day is no exception.
Whatever your plan, if you have a sweetheart to share this Valentine’s Day with, count yourself lucky.