- Stopping smoking can pay off big over a lifetime (1/18/18)
- True tax relief will require tough decisions (1/17/18)
- Technology most of us take for granted can be life-changing for others (1/16/18)
- Racial tensions can be overcome by volunteerism (1/15/18)
- Human trafficking campaign rightly targets demand (1/12/18)
- Both sides of debate should agree on medical care for children (1/11/18)
- Urgent call goes out for blood, plasma, platelets (1/10/18)
Investment in your mind sure to pay off
If you havenít checked your 401K lately you may be pleasantly surprised at the gains youíve made in the past months ó the Dow Jones Industrial Average topped 22,000 for the first time in history Wednesday.
Itís sure to drop again in the future, but thereís one investment thatís much better than the stock market ó yourself.
Weíve always thought that anyone who lived in McCook or North Platte who hadnít completed a college degree was missing a bet by not taking advantage of the local Mid-Plains campus.
Online and distance learning have made college more accessible to everyone, as have new campuses in Imperial, Broken Bow and Valentine.
MPCC will begin a new fall term the week of Aug. 20. Students can sign up for a class through the first week that it is offered.
If youíre holding down a full-time job, night classes, typically lasting two or three hours one or two days a week, or Sunday College offerings could give you a chance to upgrade your computer, medical, accounting, foreign language or other professional skills.
You might want to learn how to take better care of your body through weight training or aerobics, or care for others through first aid or nursing courses.
You might have a hobby youíve always wanted to pursue, such as welding or cabinetmaking, or even ground school toward your pilotís license.
Keeping your mind active as you age is just as important as staying physically active, and Mid-Plains offers a special discount for students 62 and older. Qualifying senior citizens pay only 35 percent of the current tuition rate, but other fees still apply.
Thereís not you can do with your stock market portfolio other that watch and hope for the best, but improving your mind through education is an investment proven to pay off.