- Mental health may be biggest challenge of COVID-19 lockdown (5/21/20)
- Arts, music scene alive and well; just needs an audience (5/14/20)
- Hospital Week honors front-line healthcare workers (5/12/20)
- Beware of Mother Nature's one-two punch (4/28/20)
- Trees are an investment in better times for future generations (4/24/20)
- Nebraska among states least affected by coronavirus (4/21/20)
- There's no rush to return to our old social routines (4/15/20)
County fair just what we all need
What this town needs is an activity to pull us all together, to get parents involved with their kids, and to bring old friends together to catch up and enjoy some entertainment together.
Come to think of it, that's just what's going on at the Red Willow County Fair this week.
Open class exhibits and judging takes place Tuesday, and the first big event is the Coyote Country Music Schowdown at the Kiplinger Arena at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
The Lil' Red Pedal Tractor Pull for kids 4-12 is at 6 p.m. Thursday, with a stock car race at 7:30 p.m.
Friday's entertainment is the CRB Band, with comedian Dick Hardwick, dance and beer garden at 7:30 p.m. in the Kiplinger Arena.
A full day Saturday includes mutton busting at 4 p.m., a chore relay at 6 p.m., both in the Kiplinger Arena, and the crowning of the Miss Southwest Nebraska Rodeo Queen and Princess at 7:45 p.m. in front of the grandstands, followed by the NSRA Rodeo at 8 p.m.
Sunday opens with Cowboy Church at 10 a.m. in the Kiplinger Arena, the Draft Horse Competition in the same venue at 12:30 p.m., presentation of the Pioneer Farm Family Award at 7:45 p.m., followed by the NSRA Rodeo at 8 p.m.
Today was the last day to buy discount tickets to the carnival, which is open from 5:30 p.m. to midnight each night, with wristbands available the last night only, from 7 to 10 p.m.
If you have a 4-H'er in the family, or if you've got your open class entries all ready to go, you know what the county fair is all about.
If not, make sure you drop by the Red Willow County Fairgrounds this week to find out.