A new government?
A common sense government would be a dream come true, but what would this government be like?
1. It would have to be semi-isolationist. We have our own problems to solve first, before we think we can solve the world's problems.
a. We would have to cut aid to other countries
b. We would have to cut weapon sales to allies and "others".
c. We would have to cut imports
d. We would have to increase exports (to pay the debt we owe to other countries)
e. We would have to remove all illegal aliens. Illegal is illegal. We have 24 million working illegals in this country and 36 million unemployed U.S. citizens. We could back fill the jobs.
f. We would need to buy back all property (land) that has been purchased by foreign entities. No one should be able to buy another's country.
g. U.S. Companies would lose U.S. status if their HQ's was in the U.S., but their manufacturing had been outsourced to other nations. Then they would be required to move from the U.S. or bring back the outsourced business.
2. We would need to place Social Security on the "Do not touch" List. Leave it alone and let it be used for what it was intended.
3. Educational spending would need to be increased.
4. Charitable donations to non-profit groups would need to be heavily encouraged.
5. Everyone would pay their fair share in taxes.
6. Our oil reserves would need to be opened and kept for our use. It is possible to drill without harming the environment.
7. The United Nations would need to be moved to another country, so any claim to U.S. influence would be void. Also, let someone else deal with the abuses of diplomatic immunity.
8. Those serving in politics would be held to a higher standard and stiffer punishment if caught playing favorites or wasting taxpayer's money.
9. Our military would be strictly used for direct protection of our borders and lands. No more deployments to other countries for any reason.
These are just a few of the things that would need to happen to start bringing the U.S. back to what it should and was meant to be.
There are probably quite a few things others could think of, but this is my list so far.
David C. McConnell, SSG (Ret)