Fire damages laundry room for Culbertson apartments

Monday, October 8, 2018
The laundry room of the Silver Leak Apartments in Culbertson burned early Saturday morning.
Connie Jo Discoe/McCook Gazette

CULBERTSON, Neb. — An electrical fire damaged the laundry room of the Silver Leaf Apartments on Highway 6&34 in Culbertson early Saturday morning.

Fire chief Richard Sensel said the fire caused “substantial damage,” and he called a state fire marshal to determine its cause.

Sensel said his fire trucks rolled out at 4:06 a.m., and were back in the station at 7:45 a.m. Eleven firefighters responded. No one was hurt, and occupants of three of the apartments were able to return later in the day, he said.

The apartments are owned by Wayne Mintling of rural Hayes County.

Trenton fire chief Tom Hovey reports that 150 hay bales burned in a rural fire that started about 3 p.m., Wednesday, in a cornfield two miles east and five miles south of Trenton. Hovey blames the fire on the catalytic converter/exhaust system of a pickup.

Firefighters from Culbertson and Red Willow Western helped fight blazes that damaged a tree row, a playhouse, a garage and stock trailers.

Hovey said that water trucks from Seeker and Schaffert farms helped the fire-fighting effort hampered by cold and wind.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: