East H Street construction project expected to begin April 15
McCOOK, Nebraska -- An improvement project that will provide East H Street with a new concrete roadway and sidewalk handicap ramps will likely move a step closer to groundbreaking Monday evening when the McCook City Council considers approval of the engineering services contract for the project. Councilors will consider the contract between the City of McCook and W. Design Associates during their regularly scheduled meeting, 7:30 p.m., at the Municipal Facility on West C Street.
The construction project is scheduled to begin the week of April 15, 2013, and be under way the entire summer.
According to the meeting agenda, the asphalt of East H Street from Norris Avenue to Airport Road will be replaced and the street paved with new concrete. Selected sections of curb and gutter along the roadway will also be replaced and sidewalk handicap ramps will be added at all intersections without among other improvements.
The contract with W. Design allows for up to $130,811 in maximum design fees. The overall construction project will be completed by Paulsen Inc. for the bid amount of $1,648,734.
A public pre-construction meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 4, 2013, 7 p.m., at the Heritage Senior Center. During the pre-construction meeting city staff will discuss the scope, the proposed phasing plan, the estimated time of construction and specific effects on adjoining property owners.
Portions of East H Street will be closed during the project and residents will be required to use alternate travel routes. The intersection of East 11th Street and East H Street is scheduled to remain open at all times for hospital and clinic access.
Other items on the consent and regular agenda;
* Terry Sitzman has requested to close West C Street, between Norris Avenue and West First Street, from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., for an annual car show.
* Encroachment permits along Country Club Drive, East Seventh Street, East Fifth Street and Seminole Drive will be considered for approval. According to the meeting agenda, the permits are required to qualify for federal funding assistance for the East Seventh Street improvement project scheduled to begin the Spring of 2014.
* The annual Medicaid and Long-Term Care Provider Agreement between the City of McCook Public Transit and American Medical Response will be considered for approval.
* A request from Southwest Nebraska Habitat for Humanity to host a 5k road race through several residential neighborhoods, Saturday, April 27, 2013, will be considered. The race will begin and end at Norris Park, with registration at 7 a.m. and an 8 a.m. start time.
* A proclamation designating April 14-20, 2013, as "National Public Safety Telecommunications Week" will be considered.