(Community Hospital photo)
In a combined effort by Community Hospital Safety Director, Dari Olson, and McCook Fireman, Rick Metcalf, fundraising began a year ago for the purchase of a BullEx Laser Fire Extinguisher system. This system was identified as a way to educate the public in scenario-based training on the use of fire extinguishers.
The unit can be taken almost anywhere and used regardless of weather conditions. It provides clean, safe and cost-effective fire extinguisher training using compressed air and water to simulate the discharge of a dry-chemical. A 20-minute video and handouts are available as part of the training. Anyone interested in fire extinguishing training should call the McCook Fire Department.
"This system has been proven to be a valuable resource," said Olson. "We look forward to the many educational opportunities it will provide and the lives and property that will be saved from the people who are trained," she added.
The system, which cost $11,568, was purchased with donations from local businesses. Entities who donated include: AmFirst Bank, Edward Jones-Ron Friehe, State Farm Insurance-Kristie Winters, State Farm Insurance-Linda Maiden, McCook National Bank, Economy Inn McCook, Valmont Industries, Inc., D & S Hardware, McCook YMCA, Doak Construction, Inc., Bison Dental, Janssen-Kool Honda, Acme Touch Printing, Parker Hannifin, Wells Fargo Bank, Frenchman Valley Coop, Land O'Lakes Foundation, McCook Community Foundation, Community Hospital and Community Hospital Health Foundation. Community Hospital Health Foundation also oversaw the donation process and assisted in purchasing the training system.