Governor signes WEC funding bill

Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Sens. Pete Pirsh, left, and Mark Christensen watch Gov. Dave Heineman sign LB 510. (Courtesy photo)

LINCOLN, Nebraska -- Today, State Sen. Mark Christensen, Imperial, stated, "I'm glad we are going to be able to direct approximately $40,000 of cash funds from inmate work release wages and court fees to a program that works. The Work Ethic Camp in McCook is doing a great job of helping offenders prepare for reentry into society. Continuing to fund the welding and technologies job training program is essential to that success."

LB 510, Introduced by Sen. Pirsch from Omaha, was passed by the Legislature April 8 and signed by the Governor today. The bill allows for up to 5 percent of an inmate's wages in the work release program and a $1 fee on each misdemeanor and felony conviction to be distributed to the Victim's Compensation fund and the Reentry Cash Fund. The Victim's Compensation Fund will receive 75 percent of the funds and the Reentry Cash Fund for WEC will receive the remaining 25 percent of the funds.

"I'm just thankful for the willingness of Sen. Pirsch and the Judiciary Committee to see the importance of maintaining an important program to give people a second chance to become productive citizens," said Christensen.

Comments
View 3 comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
  • Who will teach the courses? Is MCC on board? This is a great program for SW Nebraska. Thanks To the wwork of Mike Harris, Valmont, the Work Camp, the Public Schools and MCC.

    -- Posted by dennis on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 8:25 AM
  • I think MCC is teaching a business class now as well as a welding class.

    Great to see a fund that comes out of the criminals pockets.

    -- Posted by Chaco1 on Tue, Apr 20, 2010, at 9:17 AM
  • And thank you Ben Nelson for helping bring the WEC to McCook, that created jobs, with decent pay and benefits!

    -- Posted by goarmy67 on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 8:43 PM
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: