[mccookgazette.com] Mostly Cloudy ~ 65°F  
High: 90°F ~ Low: 62°F
Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Tyson Avery Sayer

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Sept. 8, 1995 - June 4, 2009

CAMBRIDGE -- Tyson Avery Sayer, 13, died at Cambridge Memorial Hospital on Thursday, June 4, 2009, as the result of an ATV accident.

Tyson was born in Holdrege, Sept. 8, 1995, to Gregg and Andrea (Farr) Sayer. Tyson grew up in Cambridge going to Cambridge Public School where he was a seventh grader. He was active in sports: football and track.

On Jan. 26, 2000, at the age of 4 1/2 Tyson was diagnosed with cancer. In 2001 after a bone marrow transplant Tyson was reported to have been in remission of the cancer. In 2002, Tyson and his family went to the Magic Kingdom on a Make-A-Wish trip. Tyson has lived life to the fullest in his short lifetime.

He enjoyed his grandparent's farm where he was the "ranch-hand." He enjoyed the horses, especially the horse named "Phil," fixing fence and working in the kennels.

Tyson was a HUGE Texas Longhorn fan. He had autographs from the 2008 football team and a special autographed picture by coach Mack Brown. His basic wardrobe was of burnt orange (Texas Orange) including t-shirts, jerseys, shorts and sweats pants.

In April, he ventured to Lincoln to watch the Huskers take on the Longhorns. At that time he was given an autographed baseball by the Texas Team. Tyson was not only a ranch-hand cowboy but was a True Texas Longhorn Cowboy!

Tyson was an accomplished bowler. He bowled singles and family double with his grandmother LaVella. He received many local awards, but also many national awards for his bowling. He placed first in scratch high series in the Western Division. He went to Colorado placing second in the Junior Collegiate Bowling tourney.

He enjoyed 4-H, NASCAR, swimming and hunting: pheasant, quail and deer. He was to go to Texas this fall to hunt wild boars. Tyson's big dream was to be a chef and open a gourmet restaurant and a bowling alley. Figuring by the time he was old enough Dick Barnes would be ready to retire and Tyson could buy the restaurant and make his dream come true.

Tyson enjoyed singing. He was a member of the Arapahoe Christian Church. He was friendly and always had a smile and was willing to talk to anyone.

He was preceded in death by his grandmother, Glendis Sayer and an aunt, Amanda Farr.

Tyson is survived by his parents, Gregg and Andrea, brother, Dillon James and sister, Amelia Lea, grandparents, Bob and LaVella Farr, of Cambridge: grandfather, George Sayer of Lexington; and great-grandmothers, Doris Farr of Cambridge Elithe Little of Cambridge and Edna Mott of Oberlin, along with aunts, uncles and cousins.

Funeral services were Monday, June 8, 2009, at the Arapahoe Christian Church in Arapahoe with Pastor Matt Murphy officiating. Interment was in the Holbrook Cemetery.

Memorials may be left in his name at the Lockenour-Jones Mortuary in Cambridge, POB 247, Cambridge, NE 69022.

Lockenour-Jones Mortuary is in charge of arrangements.